March 29, 2011

45) Nature Flesh

Painting. Nature Flesh. 2009
Acrylic paint and mediums.

After i was done with "Modernizing Porongo," we had a special guest who was going to teach us all about acrylic paint and mediums, how they work and what we can use them for. I already had a background on acrylic mediums and had already experimented with them the previous year, but i realized that what i knew before was nothing compared to what i was learning at the moment.


Nature Flesh was the successor of Modernizing Porongo, maintaining the same concept but at the same time, integrating what i had learnt.
Nature Flesh is an installation that i created using several separate pieces made of fabric, paint and pouring medium.

For my installation i used a new and one of my favorite painting techniques that i learnt. On a glossy surface such as glass or plastic, i would pour lots of pouring medium, creating with a palette knife the shape that i wanted, and i would add a bit of acrylic paint on the medium, pigmenting it. (I added several colors for different finishes in each piece) Once the medium was dry, which usually lasted about 12 hours or a day sometimes, i would slowly remove it from the surface and i would get an awesome, almost translucent piece of what was really just paint. In many of these pieces i added the fabric that i used in my previous installation for better texture.

My installation is called nature flesh because each piece reminds me so much of the meat markets in Peru., in the way they hang the meat for exhibition, the natural colors and the organic shapes and textures they possess.
I hang my pieces in a tree at a park next to my house and left it there for about a day to create public reaction. It wad so much fun walking around the place looking at people's reaction to my work.

I want to thank my little brother for helping me set the installation up. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment