March 31, 2010

8) Eye Non sense

Damien Hirst's 'Natural'. 2007
Green Jello, Cow and Goat eyes.

We finally got freedom and I started creating pieces of my own. In my entire life i had always seen a type of art that was completely opposite of what i do or what i thought i would always do. I never really understood why people had that stereotypical belief that 'good artists' tend to be weird and creepy sometimes, so i needed to try that. I wanted to go all wicked for once and see how that felt, and that's how i decided to follow Damien Hirst.

Hirst, a British Artist, known for his 'Natural History' series, which present dead animals (such as sharks, sheeps, cows) in vitrines, preserved and sometimes cut-up in formaldehyde. This caught my attention and became my main inspiration for my piece.

In my piece, instead of cutting an animal in parts and preserving it in formol, i used cow and goat eyes (That i bought in a Ghanaian market. 'Makola' Market) and placed them inside green jello that i bought in Max Mart, a grocery store (Pretty good one too, i used to get everything there lol). After i had finished placing all the eyes in the jello and taken them out from the fridge, i cut cubes of jello with the eyes in it and placed them in small cubes i made of glass (I also bought the glass in the market... you can really find anything there it's awesome).
My final piece was 6 of those small cubes with an eye in each of them. The weirdest thing i had ever done in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment