March 31, 2010

7) Meta Warrick

Key. 2007
Carved on Soap Bar.

This was another of my pieces where i used the "Key" as my chosen object.
I was inspired by 'Meta Warrick Fuller', an African American artist whose sculptural works were mainly made in bronze, clay, and plaster. When i saw her sculptures i decided i should also try one for the assignment. I wanted to go for the materials her sculptures were usually made of, but i thought it'd be much better to create one out of something unusual. How about soap? Lol

My initial idea was to make it standing, leaving only the bottom part of the key attached to the 'ground' rather than having it lying on it, but since i was living in Ghana, the heat was an issue and i don't know why i thought it would melt easily. Silly me. It would have looked much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment