April 1, 2010

14) Perspectives. Non-smoking sign.

Non-Smoking Sign. 2007
Wood, cardboard, latex. (45x45x45 in)

I started with the idea of the cornered frames and the 3rd dimension, and finished with a complete study of perspectives and optical illusions.
With this piece i wanted to experiment with the optical illusions that many artists had been working with. Ex. Julian Beever (An artist who is know for his chalk art in the streets). It always amazed me how our visual system could flip into thinking that it can see a flat, 2D pattern, when in reality it's a disjoint 3D one. I chose this specific sign for personal reason (I don't smoke).

The creation of this piece was a bit more complicated that the other one i had previously done. I build this room by my own, put every piece in this room together creating a more challenging surface to work on. How did i do it? It took me a while to figure out how myself, but it honestly looks harder than it actually is. I projected the image onto the surface and traced it with a pencil. Then i painted it.



This images are examples of the perception of depth in vision. From a specific perspective, we perceive the image of the non-smoking as a 2D image in a 3D surface, however, if we move from that perspective into another one, even if it's only 5cm to the right, the image will be distorted and will not show the image in its perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment